Spicy Chai Hot Chocolate
I’d never thought I’d say it, but it’s cold in australia. Like really really cold. Currently I’m sleeping with two jumpers and three additional blankets, and I still wake up in the morning feeling like I’m at the North Pole. I guess compared to the winter that my friends and family back home in Norway had to endure, it’s not actually very cold. But considering that extremely hot summer we had here in Byron, it really is. Anyways, colder weather calls for warming foods and hot drinks, right? My current obsession is this hot cacao drink made from almond butter, raw cacao, dates, warming spices and a few more things. It’s so creamy and delicious, -not to mention healthy and full of nutrition. Make yourself a cup next time you’re planning to stay in; curled up in bed reading a book; or on a cold, crisp morning. I promise you won’t regret it.
Ingredients (serves 2):
2 tbsp unsalted almond butter
2 cups water
2 pitted medjool dates
4 tbsp raw cacao powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
pinch of sea salt
Optional: pinch of chili flakes
1. Blend almond butter and water in a blender until almond milk.
2. Add in dates and raw cacao and blend until completely smooth.
3. Pour the mixture into a pot and gently hear it up. Add in spices and salt. Make sure you taste test here to make it to your own preference.
4. Sweeten with a bit of honey, agave, coconut sugar or any other sweeter of your choice if desired. I like mine a bit bitter and not too sweet, so personally I leave this step out.
5. Serve immediately and enjoy the magical benefits of cacao and these healing spices.